Friday, August 17, 2007

Where I Come From...

Born and raised in Tupper Lake, New York, one of the many small towns that make up an area known as The Adirondack Mountains, I enjoyed a carefree upbringing in much simpler times. Here is a wonderful link to my birthplace, with some very interesting "external links" (go toward the bottom of the page) ~ for the Adirondack Museum, where my father and grandfather worked for many years on its construction and restoration of the exhibits. Also, be sure to check out the external link for "Adirondack History" for an interesting read!

The Adirondack Mountains

Home of the Adirondack chair, the famous Great Camps with twig furniture, and tramp art, the harsh clime and remoteness of this region certainly spawned the earliest efforts of "make-do"!

In 1990, I moved to Atlanta, Georgia, to be closer to the majority of my family who had moved South to follow work in the construction industry. Born in the late 1920's, my father worked with his father at many of the Adirondack Great Camps. His career as a construction superintendent evolved, taking him away from home often to provide for his 6 children, but enriched life greatly for he enjoyed travel immensely. Mom and Dad's travel journeys include Israel, Rome, Hawaii, the Caribbean, and other destinations up and down the eastern US seaboard. He is now retired in the Atlanta area.

I'm proud to be part of the "third generation of builders" in my family. Some of the favorite projects I was involved in include the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston, Strom Thurmond Fitness Center in Columbia, SC, and the Olympic Village project in Atlanta which now serves as dormitories for the University of Georgia. My twin brother owns his own commercial general contracting firm, and a younger brother continues his career as a general superintendent.

Recently, DH and I decided to "get off the road", quit traveling from job to job with a national commercial contractor, and put some roots down. We had moved like 7 times in 8 years and it was getting really old. Hubby had a great opportunity in the greater Greenville-Spartanburg area of South Carolina, which has allowed us to purchase our first, very own home in a small town ~ Travelers Rest.


While I have not been successful re-entering the work force in the general contracting industry here, I've embarked on a very creative period in my life ~ designing, fashioning and creating primitive and folk art that I sell from time to time on eBay. It keeps me occupied doing something I love until the right job opportunity does come along.

Until next time ~ have a well-designed day!

No comments:

Photobucket