Thursday, November 8, 2012

Apple Pickin' Time

It is such a blessing to have happy childhood memories. You don't realize, until you go out in the big wide world and interact with people from all walks of life, that not everyone is so fortunate to have had this.

With the recent loss of my dear mother, our big family rallied round. My father's sisters from New York state were able to come and be with him in Atlanta, due to the generosity of one of their sons, who paid for the airline tickets, and my brother, who paid for their hotel stay for almost a week. What a blessing that my Dad was able to have his sisters with him to help get through the initial bereavement process of wake, funeral service and interment to the final resting place.

This intense family time stirred up such fond memories of our family traveling each Fall for several years in a row for a tradition of apple picking in Comstock, NY, to the home of my Dad's eldest sister. We had 6 kids and they had 10 or 11, so imagine the mayhem! To this day I have a strong preference for the apple variety we picked back then ~ McIntosh. Til next time,

No comments:

Photobucket